Friday, March 30, 2012

RECENT (FUN) PROJECTS...

Recently, I finished the dresser for Drew and baby girls' room! It started as an unfinished pine dresser, and is now a "denim dresser" which the two kids will share, until we move. Then it will belong only to Drew. I wanted to do something different and interesting, and have wanted to try drybrushing, as I am into the weathered/beach cottage decor more than anything. I started with a coat of white, and then began the process of drybrushing the blue, then the white, and so on. It still needs a good coat of poly, to give it a slight sheen, and a more finished look. I have been waiting for a nice day to let it dry outdoors. I had some help from one of my best buds, Katie, too, which made it more fun! I was, all in all, very happy with the outcome, and it definitely gave more room for the kids' clothes.

The next project, after the dresser, was my belly mold, which I have always wanted to do, since I discovered them. I wish I'd have known about them when I was pregnant with Drew. It is literally a process of casting, as you would a broken arm. Next, you have to add more plaster, then sand, then paint. The finished project hangs in babys' nursery. My mom did the casting, and seemed to have a really good time doing it! She did a great job! I still have to smooth it with more plaster, and then sand. My sister has agreed to do most of the painting, in babys nursery colors, grey and yellow. I am very excited to finish it, and will post pics as soon as it's done! Right now, though, I am working on painting a mobile for the baby...too many things to do, and only 3 weeks left!



0 comments: