Friday, January 1, 2010

Thank you

I asked for a love
To discover me in my haunting
to knock the gathering cobwebs from my heart
and change my night to day
But I would not take the road less traveled
Too much yearning, too much wanting
I would do it MY way

I asked you what the trouble was
where was he, and why not hurry?
As I wandered, and clawed
so focused in my plight
And I bet you grew weary
watching me stumble, my vision blurry
But you looked down with Grace,
and then placed him in my sight

I asked you to nurture
the friendships I had
to lace them up tight
and grow them forever
and though the unraveling
made me so sad
you smiled and said,
"I have something better"

The next year I beckoned you, listen
to my great desire!
Though you'd sent me a lover, my husband and friend
you still had one other chore
For years, with yearning
with passion on fire
I'd wanted a child
My mothering heart desired nothing more

And though I knew YOU
and that you always chose things right
I doubted and fretted
and I could not hold still, worried, in my mire...would you say, "No"?
And then, without blinking
you blessed and grew my belly, you showered me in light
And I carried home, in December snowfall
my now greatest delight

So I beg you for wisdom
for know-how, and the chance
to grow him up right
and oh, "could you not let him have too much pain?"
And then, through my tears
I see your answer already...
and you say that in moonbeams, he will dance
and you'll walk with him, as you have me, through both sunshine and rain.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

God is amazing. And I see he's rubbed off on you.

bigtea said...

He would bear anything for love, and He has been teaching you the same.